Welcome!

Hello! I'm glad you've dropped by and hope that you find encouragement, insight, and a few laughs while you are here and take them along on your mommy journey.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Simple Objects


In preparing my recent post about the simple gifts that we can find in the craziness of life, I tripped upon another facet of simplicity that I really wanted to share.  Simple objects in our lives are often overlooked and not taken for the potentially powerful thing that it is.  Sometimes we as mothers ask ourselves, “What is it that I possess, physically or spiritually that is actually significant?”  Is all that we do change diapers and wipe snotty noses? 

I was reminded of two stories that will shed light on these and other questions.  The first is the story of David and Goliath.  In this story, found in 1 Samuel 17, David uses simple objects to defeat a foe that was causing the whole nation of Israel to quiver.  David had the task of watching sheep, a shepherd.  He was equipped with a shepherd’s simple weapon, a sling, and five stones that he had picked up.  David had been obedient in serving as a shepherd and God used what David had in that role to claim victory for the Israelites.  

Another story is that of Gideon.  Currently, I can only picture a cucumber in a marching band outfit with a tuba around him.  I know there is a serious story in the Bible, but I was reminded of this because my son loves Veggie Tales and that is what comes to mind.  Besides, the Veggie Tale story is cuter!  Gideon was called to deliver Israel from the Midianites.  He started out with an army that God later reduced to a surprisingly low number.  A small army, pitchers, lamps, and trumpets won the victory over this large strong army.  Gideon was obedient with small and simple and through that God did amazing things.

There are many other examples of this concept that I would love to share.  However, I know that I need to have at least one shorter blog post every once in a while.  Check out the story of Bessie Paget, a woman that offered what she could give, a meal and a place to stay for travelers in England.  Through those simple objects, orphans were given a place to stay, two continents heard the gospel, and so much more.

I know that many times we feel that we are only equipped with a spatula and a tub full of baby wipes.  What we see as simple, God can make mighty.  You have hands ready to heal, arms ready to hold, a heart ready to love.  Give what you have to God and watch what he can do!

Judges 6:14 – “Then the Lord turned to him (Gideon) and said, ‘Go with the strength you have and rescue Israel from the Midinanites.  I am sending you!”

No comments:

Post a Comment