Welcome!

Hello! I'm glad you've dropped by and hope that you find encouragement, insight, and a few laughs while you are here and take them along on your mommy journey.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Small Visitors Can Cause Big Problems

So, now we know that we need to guard our hearts and give that task the attention it deserves, in much the same way that we “child proof” our homes. But like “child proofing”, it can be an overwhelming undertaking to know exactly what we need to secure our hearts against. I know there is a multitude of threats that endanger our hearts and I’m sure you’ve already thought of many of them. I’m not going to do an exhaustive list of the more obvious, but instead I will give just a few examples of the ones that many times will go overlooked.

No matter how much research and careful attention we pay to what needs to be out of reach of tiny hands, there’s always something that we just don’t think about until we see the child with it or crawling into it. It is very similar with the heart. Our guard is up in all the other places, but we let our biggest foes sneak through in ways we just didn’t expect. These foes are the unnoticeable ones, that is, until they get rooted and grow. Then they are the ones that do the most damage and are the most difficult to get rid of. I’m referring to things like bitterness, resentment, and worry.

They can make their way in through words and actions. Someone wrongs you or maybe one too many bad things have happened to you. Unknowingly, we feed and water these little weeds. Something triggers a bitter thought which is followed by another which leads to another. The next thing you know, you’re in a foul mood with nothing but bitter thoughts filling your mind. The day, full of blessings, has been stolen and is now a gray haze of anger. Where did it all start? It’s hard to remember. It usually starts with just the smallest of unresolved issues. We didn’t know when it moved in, we don’t remember it saying “Hello” and wiping its feet before it made its home in our heart. But we can certainly see the results of its residence.

In the book, The Sacred Romance written by Brent Curtis and John Eldridge, these little invaders are called “arrows.” Not only do the wounds left by them cause bitterness, resentment, and others, but they also keep us from experiencing the Great Romance (not the type felt between a man and woman) that God wrote into the universe. We don’t experience all that God has for us, because what has grown out of those wounds tells us the lie that the One calling to us isn’t good or loving.

My little danger is worry. I wrestle with it constantly. I evict it only to have it ring the doorbell again. It whispers to me that God isn’t watching and caring for me or those that I love. My problems are too big and beyond my God’s reach. What can we do against this assault? Is there anything we can do to rip up the roots of our little dangers? I firmly believe there is and that it is available to us. Find out what it is in the next post! I think you’ll agree that it is truly an encouraging thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment